Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Feel Fine! [wisdom]

*****************************
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death,” Prov. 14:12.
******************************


“I WANT TO GO SWIMMING!” Wyatt wailed in a heartbreaking sob. His brothers had just left and now he was stuck home because his all day stomach ache had just decided to pay it forward. (Thank You Jesus not on the school bus!) Twenty minutes had passed and he was convinced he was ready to join his brothers and friends for the inaugural swim in the neighbor’s pool. He begged and begged. I tried to console but to no avail. His body was telling him one thing; my experience was telling me another. We could not see eye to eye.

At least he could watch Crocodile Hunter in his misery. I reminded him he needed to keep his bowl by his side and he assured me he wouldn’t need it anymore. “Yes Momma,” I reminded him to say. “Yes, Momma,” he said begrudgingly. He barely had the bowl in his hand before round two started. Experience trumped every bodily sensation that had tried to convince him he was fine.

‘I’m sooo glad you weren’t swimming; they would have had to close the pool. Now do you understand why I couldn’t let you go swimming?’

“Yes, but I thought I was done throwing up! Awww, why did this come back? How did you know I was going to throw up again?’ Wyatt asked.

“Experience has told me one time usually means at least 3 more times are coming until you make it several hours without it happening. In life you are going to feel things really strongly but that doesn’t mean that the feeling is true or that you can trust it. Trust the wisdom of those who love you and have gone before you,” I said.

I thought the lesson had sunk in until I noticed him chugging several swallows of water in a row.

“No Wyatt, you can’t drink water yet, especially not that much!” I yelled, but too late.

“No, Momma, it’s ok. My belly feels better and I’m thirsty,” he said.

“Yes, but you have to start with Pedialyte or you are going to throw up again,” I said already knowing it was too late.

“I feel fine Momma,” Wyatt said with naïve confidence. Cut to five minutes later and we need the bowl again.

Every child is unique but God’s Word covers the human condition. “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death,” Prov. 14:12. I have certainly felt intense feelings that I thought were true, yet they were leading me down a path filled with destruction. God’s Word calls us to teach our children the wisdom of Proverbs so they can live in the blessings God has for them. Chris and I try to show our boys the path the decisions they are making has them on. Even with our very limited sight, as parents we see the consequences to many of our children’s choices before they are made. Helping them to develop that sight is a demanding and repetitive job. Many people have told me over the years, ‘you just have him miss out on a game/dessert/outing once and he won’t do that again.” Oh, if only that were true. I find my boys need to learn lessons over and over again, complete with the consequences. In my frustration I find conviction that I’m the same way.

We see what our children cannot and ultimately we need them to trust our role as their parent in the final decision making. Imagine an impassioned 15 year old girl begging to date a 23 year old she met at the pool. She’ll list every possible reason why ‘it’s just right’ but that doesn’t change how wrong it is. Her passion will convince her she’s right. You, as a parent, see what she cannot possibly. She doesn’t have to agree, understand or like your answer in order to trust in your protection. God calls us into this same role; the role of trusting Him when He says ‘no’ to things we are desperate to have. When God says ‘no, I see what you cannot and this thing you want so desperately, I want even more desperately to protect you from,’ will we trust Him?


**************************
“Start with God---the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning,” Prov. 1:7

“Make Insight your priority, and won’t take no for an answer, searching for it like a prospector panning for gold, like an adventurer on a treasure hunt, believe me, before you know it Fear-of-God will be yours; you’ll have come upon the Knowledge of God,” Prov 2:3-5.
************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment