Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Watering Camels [servant heart]

***************************************************
“Don’t just do what you have to do to get by, but work heartily, as Christ’s servants doing what God wants you to do. And work with a smile on your face, always keeping in mind that no matter who happens to be giving the orders, you’re really serving God,” Eph. 6:7-8.

“Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand,” Phil. 2:4.
***************************************************

Errands had taken longer than I anticipated, as my 3, 3, and 4 year old traveling companions were eager to point out. We were still a half hour from home and lunch time had come and gone without a refueling; bystanders beware, dangerous ground to tread on when you are within a 10 foot radius of DiDios. Will and Wyatt’s milk allergy made eating out cumbersome and rarely worth the energy required; but today we would try. We were at an unfamiliar Target, so I felt a little awkward, but began the litany of questions.

The gentleman behind the counter, Mr. Ari we learned, was very helpful and went out of his way to make sure our dining experience of hot dogs, chips and ice water was five star. He even came to our table to bring us more napkins and ask if we would like our waters refilled. I commented to the boys about what a wonderful and gracious heart Mr. Ari had. That’s when Tad said, ‘he’s just like Rebekah Momma. She had a servant heart when she watered all the camels without anyone asking her, just like Mr. Ari just did.’


I was blown away. Bible time still felt like a comic attempt at wrestling monkeys into suits. The pattern was set, but it didn’t feel like I thought it should. I was still holding on to serene images of quiet little boys Socratic dialoging back and forth with me. I was still imagining God’s lessons taking root and erasing the quarrels and tears that seemed to overflow from too many of our days. So, instead when I got little boys who wiped syrupy hands on each other and spooned spilled yogurt from each other’s appendages into their mouths, I threw my arms up in frustration on many an occasion. And yes, there were times I slammed closed our Bible, yelled at everyone and stewed in my anger over the failure to build what I thought time in God’s Word should look like. I wanted a Normal Rockwell scene; I got a comic book one. Yet I did continue, clinging to the encouragement I received and the promise that God’s word is powerful enough to penetrate little hearts even when they are imbedded in crazy little boys.

And now, here I was sitting with my 4 year old who had just connected a scriptural illustration with contemporary life. This was the goal I had been working towards as we progressed through our children’s Bible in a year. Connections first, then incorporation into daily life. This invigorated a very weary momma; but what came next erased any doubts I had about bailing during the frustrating times of spiritually discipling my boys.

The boys were commenting about how good their lunch was and then William said, ‘we should go and tell Mr. Ari thank you and how good our lunch was.’ So that’s just what they did, without me. They marched right up, “Thanks Mr. Ari, we really liked our lunch. You did a good job.” The look on his face…well, words often fail to truly reflect the expression of a heart; it was a look I still remember 4 years later. The boys, oblivious to the profound effect they just had on a stranger and their Momma, began to throw away their trash and make plans for the train track they’d be building that afternoon. Mr. Ari came up to the table to ask if it was ok if he gave the boys a treat and then quickly produced from behind his back 3 packs of fruit snacks to the delight of my boys.

Personally I had been talking with God about when I should be the blessor and when I needed to allow Him to reward the work He was growing in their little lives. I wanted the boys to know the truths of Scripture but I was a little afraid not to provide the immediate positive reinforcement when I saw them really getting it. I felt as though God had been urging me to trust Him to provide the outcomes to the lessons I was responsible for teaching and instilling. Mr. Ari’s kindness confirmed what God had been trying to show me---Yes, the boys are listening and absorbing even when they are acting like twirling tops in perpetual motion and Yes, God is faithful to reward childhood steps into His kingdom without mother’s involvement.
************************************************
“He came to serve, not to be served,” Mth. 20:28.

“A true test of a servant is how he acts when treated like one,” Les Jenkins, godly father to one of my dear friends, Susan Lamb, who shared his wisdom with me one day. Susan’s husband Chris epitomizes this servant heart in a manner unlike anyone I’ve ever known.

“Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose,”

Prov. 18:21.
*******************************************

1 comment:

  1. The boys TU's brought tears to my eyes. Just when you think they're not listening, they surprise us : )

    ReplyDelete