Monday, June 7, 2010

Prayer of Blessing

*****************************
“The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing,” Zeph. 3:17 NIV.
******************************


I’ll never forget Rick Warren proposing that God enjoyed watching me sleep, simply because I am His child. That God would take pleasure over a simple act that I too enjoy doing with my children?! This astounded me. When going in to check on the boys before I go to sleep, I frequently find myself running to get my camera, to capture a moment I want to remember forever. The twins make great nighttime subjects because nothing wakes them up. I can snap a few shots and then just watch them sleep in peace, which is precious when the day has been far from peaceful.

I sometimes wonder if that’s why God made us to sleep fully 1/3 of our life. I’m quickly approaching 40, so that’s 13 years where God has watched me at rest, not willful in choosing my own way over His. He gets to just enjoy His child at peace. There’s something about that night time rest that helps to ease any turmoil of the day and soothe an unquieted soul. This makes for great time to pray Scripture over these little ones entrusted to our care:


I ask---ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory---to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life He has for Christians, oh, the utter extravagance of His work in us who trust Him---endless energy, boundless strength.

God can do anything, you know---far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, His Spirit deeply and gently within us.

May God our Father Himself and our Master Jesus clear the road to you! And may the Master pour on the love so it fills your lives and splashes over on everyone around you, just as it does from us to you. May you be infused with strength and purity, filled with confidence in the presence of God our Father when our Master Jesus arrives with all His followers.

Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God’s lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God’s blessing---but by then it was too late, tears or no tears.

Go after God, who piles on all the riches we could ever imagine---to do good, to be rich in helping others, to be extravagantly generous. If they do that, they’ll build a treasury that will last, gaining life that is truly life.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the One who will keep you on track.

As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God’s life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God says, “I am holy; you be holy.”

Say nothing evil or hurtful; snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you’re worth.

Nothing could make me happier than getting reports that my children continue diligently in the way of Truth!



Eph. 1:17-19, Eph. 3:20-21, 1 Thess. 3:11-13, Heb. 12:16-17, 1 Tim. 6:18-19, Prov. 3:5-6, I Peter 1:14-16, I Peter 3:10-11, 3 John 1:4.

No comments:

Post a Comment